What is a Vault Copy Document?

Whenever a birth, marriage or death is registered at the Department of Home Affairs, they require a specific document to be completed and signed. These registration documents are often handwritten and signed and the information on these documents are used to populate the Population Register.

These documents are known as Vault Copy documents. They are not the same as normal birth, marriage or death certificates and may often contain more Genealogical information than normal certificates.

Often, when applying for emigration, some countries do require Vault Copy documents instead of normal certificates.

When completing your application form for documents at Home Affairs, at the top of the page, you will have the option to tick Vault Copies should you require them instead of the normal certificates.